Tuesday, August 21, 2007

School Daze

My wife started on a mission several months ago to get her teaching certificate. She decided at some point that being able to teach would be a good alternative if and when she needed to re-enter the workforce. She breezed through some college courses she had to take. She did great through the certification classes and tests she had to take. Now, she begins the third and final leg - student teaching.

After 13 years of being a stay-at-home mom, she is up and going to work. In some ways, it is similar to what she has been doing because she doesn't get paid to student teach! We both agree that it has been a blessing that she has been able to be at home with the kids and neither of us have any idea of when or where she might actually begin a teaching career. Yet today is a day of big change.

I am pretty sure she's a little bit nervous. The next 13 weeks will be very different than the past 13 years. I know she will go through student teaching with flying colors, there's no question in my mind. She's working with a friend of ours who is a veteran teacher and will be a great mentor for her. I am a little nervous too. Change is always a little unnerving yet she is working through it with a plan to accomplish this step of her goal.

I'm praying for her. Praying that she will have peace through all of this. Praying that she will find God's will through it. Praying that she can have a good influence on the adults and kids she will come in contact with. I know she will do this well and she will touch people in the process.

3 comments:

Rick Ross said...

She will be a great teacher!

Bev Ross said...

This post brings back a rush of memories for me! I was a stay-at-home mom for 12 years before launching into public education. It was a fabulous job to have with kids still at home! Blessings, Kelly! go get 'em, Girlfriend!

Melissa Taylor said...

Kelly and I are in the exact same position right now! I will begin my 12 weeks on Monday - I know how she feels. Being able to stay at home with our children has been a tremendous blessing; something that I will cherish forever. Hopefully we can lean on each other for support throughout these next few months! We will have a lot to talk about. Best wishes for her experience and your family through this time of change!