Thursday, August 09, 2007

13

On this day 13 years ago my life changed dramatically, forever, and for the better. On this day 13 years ago, my wife and I woke up early and headed to the hospital where the birth of our first child would occur. On this day 13 years ago I remember the fear and excitement I felt. Fear for safety, for what changes would occur, for what I would do as a father. Excitement for the joy in seeing the miracle of birth, for what I would learn and experience with a child. On this day 13 years ago, I held a baby girl in my hands who wrapped one of her little hands around my finger. On this day 13 years ago, I held a baby girl in my hands who became wrapped around, over, under and through my heart.

My baby girl is growing up. She's a teenager now and she is on her way to becoming more than I ever imagined for her. She is beautiful, intelligent and insightful. She likes to sleep late and leave a mess in her wake. She is a young girl growing into a beautiful woman with a lot of grace and dignity but also with fears and missteps. She is not unlike many young women of her age, wanting to make her path and yet confused at times about which way to go. On the other hand, she is unlike many young women because she is my daughter and I see the beauty in her that only a parent can see.

My baby girl loves God and I love her because of it. She inspires me and makes me want to be a better father than I have been. She is a blessing that is beyond description.

Happy Birthday little girl. You are not so little anymore but you still have my finger, and my heart, in the grip of your hand.

No comments: