Thursday, March 01, 2007

Two Funerals

The mother of a good friend of ours passed away Tuesday as well as an Elder and a good friend in our church. I know both these people loved the Lord and are now sharing in their inheritance from God but the time of a death is still rough for me. I think it is because it brings up so many questions that I mull over.

Peggy is the mother of a good friend of ours. I didn't know Peggy that well but I know her daughter and that tells me a lot about Peggy I think. From what I see through her daughter, Peggy loved God. She loved people too. The times I was around Peggy, she seemed full of life, always happy. I've known her daughter for several years and I have always seen someone who is caring, encouraging and joyful. I am confident that she got much of that from her mother.

I was blessed to know Jim. Jim always wore a smile and was encourager to everyone. He became one of my heroes when I was heading up Adult Education at our church and looking for teachers. I asked Jim and he turned me down. I got a call later that night and it was Jim. "Jeff, I need to teach. I need to do it for me and for my kids. They need to see a good example from me." Such sweet words from a gentle man. He later became an Elder in our church and someone I gained strength from. We had several conversations when some things weren't going the way we all wanted them and Jim would state what he felt we needed to do and end by saying, "we've just got to do it, Jeff. We gotta." He was one of the best cheerleaders I've ever known.

Peggy and Jim have gone on to a better place but they have left their spirit of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control with all of us.

No comments: