Monday, November 12, 2007

Love

I had the great fortune of attending church at Fortress yesterday, an inner-city mission in Fort Worth. We had a good time and got to meet some fun young kids but the lesson of the morning really struck a chord with me. Sometimes I read scripture over and over and out of the blue, something pops out to me in a way I hadn't thought of it before.

The topic was love and the question the teacher asked was "what does love look like?" We read the scripture in 1 Corinthians 13 about love but I read it in a way different than I usually do. I inserted "God" instead of "love" in the verses and got a better understanding of what love looks like.

God is patient, God is kind. God does not envy, He does not boast, He is not proud. He is not rude, He is not self-seeking, He is not easily angered, He keeps no record of wrongs. God does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. He always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. God never fails.

Wow, that is love. I kept thinking about what love looks like right now, today, here in Decatur and I read the scripture again.

Jeff is patient, Jeff is kind. Jeff does not envy, he does not boast, he is not proud. Jeff is not rude, he is not self-seeking, he is not easily angered, Jeff keeps no records of wrongs. Jeff does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. Jeff always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Jeff never fails.

If only that were true. If only. However, it is a great reminder to me what I should be, how I should act, what people should see. I'm not those things as much or as often as I am but I know what love should look like. It should look like me being patient and kind, not easily angered, not failing and the rest.

Oh God, help me to look like love.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

Pretty convicting, isn't it?