Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Death Penalty

I heard on TV this morning that there may be a change on the Supreme Court's thinking on the death penalty. It's something I wrestle with a little because I've not been in the position of someone who has been a victim of one of the criminals that was subject to it. On the other hand, and I realize my position may knock me off the Republican Party Christmas card list, I am not a proponent of the death penalty. I just don't see where we have the right to choose if someone should live or die, that we have the right to take someone's life into our own hands. I can't reconcile Christ-likeness with the death penalty.

Do I think criminals should be punished? Definitely. I think there was probably some benefit to the chain gangs and hard, hard manual labor. Maybe some authorities didn't handle it properly but I think it's a much better alternative to the death penalty. When Clayton Williams ran for governor several years ago, one of his theme's was "busting rocks" which is what he wanted the criminals to do. I think he had a lot of support until he made a stupid comment about rape but his hard work for criminals seemed to strike a chord with many people.

I want feel bad to see the death penalty go away but I would like to see more stringent penalties for those offenders who might be in line for it.
____________________________________________________________

The Rockies-Red Sox series didn't go the way I wanted it to but it was a good example of momentum ruling the day. The Sox had it and the Rockies had been sitting still too long but it was still neat to see them make it that far. As for the Rangers...maybe next year.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

I am going through a revolution of thinking for myself on the death penalty. I agree with you.

I don't think the Rockies would have beaten Boston if the Series had started a week earlier. I think the best AL teams are far superior to the best NL teams at this time. Just as on the flip side, the best AFC teams in football are superior to the best NFC teams. And in basketball, the best teams in the West are better than the best teams in the East. It seems to be a cyclical thing.