Thursday, October 11, 2007

Running for Starbucks

My daughter did well at cross country yesterday with what appeared to me to be her best finish yet. She cut her time down in the first mile by 47 seconds over her previous best. It earned her a Starbucks Frappa-whatever. She did great.
Her district meet is the same weekend as the youth group retreat at Camp Deer Run. She's planning on going to the retreat. Her decision process surprised me a little. I've grown up being ingrained with doing what is best for the team. She plans to go to the retreat. I assume some of her reasoning revolves around the idea that she won't have to run at the retreat but her spiritual growth trip over athletic event decision tells me something about her...something I am proud of.
________________________________________________________

My son is taking band at school and playing the clarinet. It's not what I would have envisioned for him but today he was practicing before we left for school and playing the theme from Jaws, the movie from the 70's. It was pretty cool to hear him putting it together and then talking about learning all the different notes. I think he will be a child who blazes his own trail and I look forward to seeing where it takes him. He's a good boy.

1 comment:

Melissa Taylor said...

You do have great kids; you should be very proud. I know that Kory decided on the retreat because Mark and I will be going - that was a no brainer, she wants to be around us! The retreat is so rewarding for the kids - I can see why she made that decision. I wish other kids would choose spiritual growth over athletics. That would make a real difference in the lives of youth. I am proud of her. I remember when my brother started band - it can be a painful time!