Friday, October 12, 2007

Rivalries

Tonight is the Battle of Big Sandy, the annual football showdown between Decatur and Bridgeport. Decatur has been dominant the last several years but most are expecting a close game tonight. I grew up with the Robert E. Lee/John Tyler rivalry, one that was bitter at times and ended up in physical violence more than once. The stories I could tell...but my mom reads this sometimes so I'll just move along...

I forget what year of high school I was in when the John Tyler building was seriously damaged by a fire. Most of the classrooms were lost and there no place could be found that would house their students except-----the Robert E. Lee campus, the home of the enemy. The two schools shared the campus with Lee students coming early and leaving earlier (class periods were cut a little shorter) and John Tyler students coming around noon or a little later and going through the afternoon. Ribbons were tied around trees and banners were hung to welcome the John Tyler students to the Lee campus.

It was a time where people from two places came together and shared what they had. It was a community taking care of it's members who needed something. It was people working together the way God intends for us to work together.

Our church has a special focus on giving of our time right now. Give 60 is the theme and people are encouraged to give 60 minutes of their week to helping others. I remember that time in high school where we came together and it felt good to know we were part of making a positive difference. It still feels good today to help others. Whether it be our rivals, people we don't know or someone we do know, it feels good to help. I think God wired us so that when we did good things we would feel good.

I don't know where I'm going with all of this other than to say two things. First, I encourage you to find ways to give and help others. In doing so, you help them, you help yourself and you encourage others. The second thing is GO EAGLES!

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

I wish I could be there tonight. Go Eagles!