Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Roast Beef

I love the roast beef story. It goes something like this; new bride cooks roast and new husband asks why she cut the ends off before she cooked it. "That's the way mom always did it" comes the response. New husband gets new wife to call mom who tells new wife that Grandma did it that way. New wife calls Grandma and asks why and Grandma tells her the oven was too small for the big roasts she bought so she had to cut the ends off.

I get in a habit of doing things the same way because that's the way they were always done. I have two meetings today that are about looking for ways to do things better, not just the way it's always worked. My hope is that we will find better ways that bring improvement but even if we don't, maybe a paradigm shift will bring new enthusiasm for a better tomorrow.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

Interesting. I had thought about using that story this week in my sermon. I will be talking about similar things in relation to church.