Friday, September 14, 2007

Safety

How safe are you? How safe is your family? It's something I don't think about too often because I generally have a feeling of safety. Something happened yesterday that raised that question for one of my children and the feelings inside of me surprised me. Thoughts ran through my head of "if they hurt my child, I will..." and some of those ideas of what I would do were a little scary. I'm not surprised that I would rise up to defend my child but how quickly and how hostile I went from being a pretty laid-back guy to being ready to go on the offensive. If someone hurts one of my children, what will I do? How far will I go?

As I prayed about it last night, I also begin to think about how God feels when Satan tries to hurt us. How offended is He? How far will He go to defend us, to fight for us? I know God has a much better grip on defending and protecting me than I do on defending and protecting my children. I know God isn't thinking the same thoughts of "what will I do" if someone hurts me like I had if someone hurt my children. God sees so much more than me, understands so much more than me, cares for others so much more than me.

I pray in everything I am forced to deal with, I will look for God's will and design. Afterall, my safety isn't in anything I can do or control but only in what God has already done through Jesus. My safety isn't for here and today, it is for eternity.
__________________________________________________________

The funeral for our family friend I mentioned a few days ago is today. I won't be able to attend but the Ferguson family is on my mind. If you would, please say a little prayer for that family today and in the day's to come. Their loss is hard but their comfort will be in Molly's love for the Lord and her devotion to Him.

No comments: