Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Run Girl, Run

Today is the first cross country meet for my daughter. It's in Ponder and not her favorite course (just listening to her description can be a bit funny) but it's the first one so it's a good one in my book. She loaded up on cookies for all her friends so they should be on a sugar high when they take off.

It's amazing to watch her run. When she sprints the last several yards, it's the best because her long legs really get going and she covers some ground. It will be a 2+ mile run...something that would put me in the hospital. I'm excited to go watch her today.
_____________________________________________________________

I got a message early this week that one of my friends from college was killed in an auto accident last weekend. It's too early for this to be happening. Mack leaves a wife and two kids and a lot of people who loved him. As the Sub-T (for those not familiar with Sub-T, it is a fraternity type organization at ACU where I attended college that was often credited with things not in keepng with the schools desires) email wire cranked up, I was struck that the one thing that kept flashing in my mind was the smile that was almost permanent on Mack's face. He brought happiness to many people.

Each year, Subberville is a reunion held in different locales - Abilene of late - and each year they play golf. Starting in 2008, the golf tournament will become the Mack Dennis Memorial Golf Tournament and proceeds will go to a scholarship fund for his kids.

May God grant them peace.

No comments: