Monday, September 10, 2007

Audacious

Yesterday, my 7th and 8th grade class discussed compassion. I believe the world has seen far too little compassion from Christians. I used to read a local blog and anytime something came up about a church, there were several comments running down Christians for their lack of concern for people. It seems many people hear us arguing over disagreements and don't see us taking care of those in need.

My class curriculum made 3 points. First, be ALERT to people in need - look for opportunities. Second, be ATTENTIVE to those people - do something to help them. Finally, be AUDACIOUS in what you do. I asked the class if they knew what audacious meant and one young lady responded "shamelessly bold." Wow! What would happen if we were shamelessly bold in helping others, in sharing compassion? What would the world see? Jesus. The world would see Jesus if we were shamelessly bold in our compassion for people. The world would see the body of Christ in action.

I believe doctrine is important. I believe teaching the message the Bible teaches for salvation is important. I believe that living as Jesus lived is important. I convict myself that I have spent too much time discussing things that matter without living the things that matter. I convict myself that I have stood on doctrine without reaching out with compassion. Oh, but how I want to be different in the days ahead. If we are the body, if I am the body, I need to be more Christ-like to people who are lost and hurting and need to know someone cares.

I challenged my class yesterday with some specific opportunities they brought up. I believe the younger generation today is much more open to being compassionate, to being audacious in their efforts to pick up the hurting than my generation. I challenged them because they encourage me and their actions will challenge me to be audacious, to be shamelessly bold in sharing compassion.

2 comments:

Rick Ross said...

AMEN, AMEN, AMEN!

Bev Ross said...

I love that word: Audacious - shamelessly bold. That will be in my talk to the Lord alot in days to come!