Thursday, September 06, 2007

Leadership

We started a new class last night on leadership, specifically spiritual leadership. Leadership is easy to talk about but, in my own life at least, much harder to model. I enjoy studying it and learning how to be a better leader because I have been put in positions of leadership. Being the leader isnt' something I aspire to, in fact my personality easily allows others to take on a leadership role, but when I am needed to lead, I want to be prepared to do the best I can.

One of my favorite books is titled "The Servant" and is a study of leadership modeled by Jesus. It's a look at what the author terms servant-leadership and it exemplifies the type of leader I want to follow and I want to be.

I pray our churches will raise up strong servant-leaders, people who lead not because they want the power but because they want to serve. I believe we are blessed as a church in Decatur with leaders who do want to serve. As I listened to one of our Elders last night talk about his fear of doing a poor job, it was apparent his biggest concern was whether he was serving others. That is the type of leadership mentality that inspires me because his concern isn't about his position or status but his concern is about his service.

I look forward to the remainder of this class and hope I can learn and then model better leadership, leadership based on the good and perfect example God sent to earth, leadership based on a Savior who came to rescue me from the power of evil, leadership based on the Christ who loves me.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

I too enjoyed the class. I am glad that we have leaders who desire more than status quo and who are willing to explore a more biblical model of leadership. I look forward to the day that you join them.