Sunday, November 19, 2006

Sunday (Part 2)

What an invigorating and exhausting day. It started very early (4:15 Texas time) and lasted several hours. Church in Aracaju was uplifting. The brethren love to sing and have such joy. It was great to see their smiles and receive their hugs and good wishes. After church there was a graduation ceremony for 7 students who completed the School of the Bible course. Then we had lucnh with several members of the church at a nearby restaurant with more fellowship and joy in getting to know some of our brothers and sisters better. Many of them seem surprised that I remembered them from our previous trip and I hope to explain to them before we leave that they had a profound impact on me.

After lunch Randy, Angela, Everett, Idalicio and I loaded up in Randy's little Fiat and headed to Malahdor to meet with the church there. Today, 9 members were present and we met in a school room they use. Everyone there was related to each other so we joked about it being a real church "family." Afterwards, we were invited to Senor Antonio's house and farm. He grows a root that they make flour from and use in many foods. The root is poisonous unless processed properly so I was able to see their setup. It is not very mechanized and during their harvest, they work from 5am to 7pm 5 days a week. I was also able to see a kaju (cashew) tree. I had forgotten that cashews were also poisonous until processed. I ate jocku fruit (not so great) and watermelon (not very sweet) and saw many beautiful plants and other fruit trees. They insisted we stay for dinner and were so hospitable.

Driving to Malahdor and back, I saw more poverty. Small, small homes with dirt floors and drapes for doors. It is sad to see the conditions so many live in yet the Brazilians seem to be fairly enterprising people and ever friendly.

We are finishing the night with Everett and an exploding shower door. As he was getting out of the shower, the door shattered and glass is everywhere including in his hands and arms. It is quite a mess and we are waiting for someone to come up - hopefully someone we can communicate with.

I am worn out after today but have been edified. I thank God for this time. It is hard for me and my family at home but it is a tremendous time that strengthens my faith and my desire to serve the Almighty.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

Sounds like exciting times there for the church! Hey, tell Everett that's what he gets for singing in the shower.