Monday, November 13, 2006

Love and War

Yesterday's Bible study was the parable of the good Samaritan, a story we've all heard. As I heard it again, I thought of it as story that I know and love but easily forget as I approach the world. Do I really stop to help my neighbor? Sure, I'd stop and help my Christian brother...if I don't have anything else planned. Sure, I'll help the guy across the street...if it wasn't raining. Sure, I'll help the individual who would do me harm...if I didn't hope some bad things would happen to him.

The story starts with the greatest command, to love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength. The second is like it, love your neighbor as yourself.

I am constantly reminded, because of my own failings, that if I were to show the love that I receive from God to those around me, the world would be an infinitely better place. What if everyone showed each other the love God shows us? What if everyone showed the patience and forgiveness that God shows us? Would we harbor ill feelings against people who have wrong us? Would we be more thoughtful of those who need us? Would our hearts feel more peace and our actions show more joy?

God, give me the strength to love like you love, to be patient as you are patient and to forgive like you forgive. Give me the courage to be more like Christ every moment.

No comments: