Monday, November 06, 2006

Big Times in Bell County

Tonight at dinner I was sitting next to two ladies who were excited about an event they were going to later in the evening. I couldn't figure out who they were going to see but heard them eagerly discuss where their seats were, how many people would be there and so on.

On the way back to my motel (I'm in lovely Salado tonight), I passed the Bell County Expo and saw that Joel Osteen was speaking tonight. He was the object of their excitement and anticipation for a great evening. They were prepared to hear the good news and were obviously excited about the opportunity but as I drove by, I wondered what good news they would here. Would they hear the good news that there sins have been covered by the blood of the Savior, that life is not about us but about serving God and others or would they hear the good news that if they believe in Christ good things will happen in their lives?

Too often I hear people try to put the "pretty" spin on their love for Jesus...that they love Him, He loves them and everything will be good. More often I wish I heard the real story...that our churches are full of people who have battled drugs and alcohol, service to self, sexual sins, pride and hatred and all the other tools the devil uses against us. What would it be like if we all had to wear our signs of struggle at church instead of putting on our pretty clothes and looking right? Would we be more broken, more humble, more open to the beauty of grace and mercy?

These TV evangelists scare me because I wonder what their message is really doing to people. At the same time, the facade we maintain around those we know, those we worship with and those we love scares me too. Would it help someone if they knew they faced the same struggles I face or that someone else faces? Would it help if they knew the pretty church building was really a place that could deal with the ugly face of sin?

I hope those two ladies will really know Christ and the love He has for them. I hope they will know that people struggle just like they struggle and knowing the love of Christ doesn't mean their problems will all go away. I hope they know that whatever trouble the face today will mean nothing if they will let the blood of Christ cover them and receive the promise of an eternity unlike anything imaginable. I hope they will know the true Good News.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

Great thoughts today.