Friday, December 30, 2005

It's Tiger Woods birthday. He must be worth $100 million and he's turning 30. It's LeBron James birthday and he is worth at least $100 million and he's turning 21. So, does that mean if your birthday is on December 30 you must have a lot of money? Well, I'm here as living proof that it does not mean that. Today is my birthday and after double checking my bank account, I officially do not have lots of money. But, I do have plenty. I have an incredible family that God has blessed me with, good friends and pretty decent health (OK, the arthritis in my back is making me feel a year older). I don't know how Tiger and LeBron feel today but I am feeling very content. I can wish that I had a little more money and less debt, a little bigger house and a newer car, a 4 wheeler, a vacation home...oh, I could go on and on. Yet I look at the world and I see people on the news watching their children starve, living without a house, without food, without medical care or knowing that a bomb or gunfire could very well take their life at any moment. I have so much and I know all that I have means nothing.

I also see people who don't know God, who don't believe in Heaven and Hell, who think we just come back as something else or believe we just die and that's it. I see people who believe in a different God, who don't understand or believe the price that has been paid for our salvation. I am praying today for these people. I hope they will open their hearts to God.

Today is my birthday and I know I have more than I need in earthly goods. I am blessed with what I have. Yet none of that is really important when I reflect on all that I have through Christ. I have so much more than I deserve. I surely haven't earned His grace but I receive it freely.

I'm a year older and for the first time actually feeling a year older. Even though I may hurt a little more and move a little slower, I'm alright because I am content with all I have and I am overwhelmed by the gift God has given me.

2 comments:

Rick Ross said...

Jeff,

Sorry, but I've been out of the blogger loop for a few days. Your blogs this week have been very thought-provoking.

Happy Birthday! As I look at your family, your faith, and your friends (I had to throw that one in), I would say that Tiger and Lebron could only wish to be as rich as you.

Bev Ross said...

Happy, happy, Jeff! I think we should plan a trip to eat Mexican food to celebrate!