Friday, December 23, 2005

I have read and watched the news surrounding the death of Tony Dungy's son over the last couple of days and cannot imagine the pain he and his family feel. Dungy is the head coach of the Indianapolis Colts. They lost their first game of the year last week and up until that time had been one of the top sports stories. The Colts are still a favorite to go to the Super Bowl but I don't think that is what is foremost in Dungy's mind today. I don't think the team and their goal of winning the big game is really very important to him today. Based on some of the player's comments, I don't think it is real important to them either. They all have been hit with a dose of harsh reality at a very family-oriented time of year.
One comment everyone makes about Dungy is his faith and most of the people I heard speaking about him mentioned the most important things in his life were God and his family. Everyone I heard mentioned either God or his "faith" first. I know Dungy and his wife and family will have hurt that few of us know but I am confident he will come through this because of his relationship with God. His relationship with God must be strong and evident to hear what all the people say about him.
I cannot and hope I will not ever know their pain but I ask you to join me in a prayer for the Dungy family and others who are spending this Christmas without a child or without a loved one. I also will pray that the faith people speak of seeing in Tony Dungy will remain foremost in his life and that it will have a profound impact on the people he touches, that they will see God in him and want to know God better. It is the only good I can imagine coming from such a tragedy.
While we pray, let's thank God for the blessings we have in our life. I have so many that I so often overlook and take for granted. God is good. God is merciful. God is abundant in His love and faithfulness. There is too much hurt in the world but God, through His son, provides something so much more magnificent outside this world. I want to hold on to my family, I want to wrap them in my arms and squeeze them tight and let them know I love them. I don't want to lose them. But more than all, I want to know God. I want to be with Him and walk the streets of gold.
Merry Christmas to all!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes, hold onto your family. They are the gifts that are priceless. Reading some of your blogs, I will tell you that you are not a bigot and my hubby and I wouldn't waste our time or money to see the gay cowboy movie. I don't spread hate either, but I do make choices based on what my God centered intuition tells me. I don't care if I am politically correct in most areas of my life, because life isn't correct most of the time these days. Yes, prayers for that family are indeed needed. Enjoy your Christmas with yours.