Monday, December 12, 2005

I read an interesting article today about a small, tight-knit community that has spent time and resources in redeveloping their neighborhood. They have grown to know each other and help each other in many different ways. From neighborhood get-togethers to making food after an illness or death. They have become a community of friends.
Do you know your neighbors? Growing up, I knew everyone on our street. Today, I know just a few of the families. I think it's a common thing today to be too busy or too comfortable to be able to know your neighbors and develop community in a small setting.
As I read this story, I thought about the community I am a part of, where I do know many of my neighbors and where we all come together to help each other. My church family is a community that I draw strength from and lean on, where I enjoy the camaradarie of others and also share a common purpose.
I'm thankful for the body of people I meet with, worship with, laugh with and cry with in Decatur. I thank God for these people and pray that as we grow together, we will strengthen each other, support each other and love each other while glorifying Him in all of our actions.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

I love our church community! I do think it's sad that there are so many barriers any more to getting to know your neighbors. I am hopeful that I can get to know mine, but it hasn't been easy so far.