Wednesday, December 07, 2005

I'm headed to Ft. Worth today for a doctor's appointment, a meeting and some errands. The girls in the office (extreme alarmists) are already talking about the sleet and bad roads just south of here. They are planning their escape to get home ahead of this weather event.

EDIT FROM ORIGINAL POST: After first writing this, I'm learning that the roads are quite a bit worse than the reports I heard earlier today.

I know many people who look at this type weather with icy roads and think nothing of it driving along as if there is not a problem in the world. Others, like those in my office, act as if the world will stop spinning on it's axis. Then, there are the folks in the middle, giving due respect to the weather and the consequences it can produce but not about to go into "shut-down mode" as if they are paralyzed from fear of what could be.

Do you know people like this? Do you see similar situations in your work? your life? your church? Do you know which one you are? It's a rhetorical question.

4 comments:

Rick Ross said...

I guess I would be the caution guy. In fact, that's probably true of my life. I move along, but I am fairly cautious.

Who in the world would abuse you on their blog?

Bev Ross said...

Well, I am back home. I am not an alarmist. I struggle with being just egocentric enough to think that if I have something to do - nothing can stop me! But...occassionally I am hit by truth. I made it about 10 minutes into my trip to Grapevine this morning when my windshield was caked in ice (for the 2nd time!) and I couldn't get it off. I wanted to sleep at home tonight and not on the side of the road - ha! But I've got a lesson I'm excited about tonight - so...the weather will be great tonight!

Jeff said...

OK, I edited my original post to reflect that the roads are probably worse than what I had originally heard this morning.

Beverly, I'm glad you made it back home safe. Kelly has a friend call and say he had seen 3 wrecks between Decatur and Rhome.

Rick, yes, there are people who take some potshots at me on the blogs. If you seen one of them, tell them to be nice to me. I have a very fragile psyche.

Bev Ross said...

oh, my! THREE wrecks! That could've been me! I turned around just in time!
Glad you changed your mind about going to Ft. Worth too. Hope your back gets better though!