Wednesday, December 28, 2005

I have a tradition of watching a basketball tournament after Christmas each year. Since 1988, I have been attending this 3 day tournament, sometimes all day for 3 days and other times I've only seen a few games. Yesterday, I watched games from 11:30 until 9:00 with my son. The tournament was recently ranked by Sports Illustrated as one of the top 5 Christmas tournaments in the country so I get to see some good (and not so good) basketball being played. This year, for the first time since I've been going, Robert Hughes wasn't coaching the Dunbar Wildcats, wasn't scowling at bad pass or stomping his foot at a bad foul. Robert Hughes retired last year as the winningest high school basketball coach in history so I was able to watch quite a bit of history being made of the past several years. I've seen his teams defeat the #1 team in the nation a few years ago and I've seen eventual state champions and one NBA player from his team. It's been a fun time but it has come to an end, at least with Robert Hughes, Sr. coaching. Now, Robert Hughes, Jr. has taken over. What a role to play. What shoes to fill. I hope Junior does well though it isn't likely to see him do as well as his father. Still, I hope he is successful and his Flying Wildcats are just as entertaining as ever.

No comments: