Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Ho ho ho. It's almost time to eat like there's no tomorrow and open presents like a weedeater going through grass. The buildup is coming, the stress of getting it all done is growing and then it will be over. Just like a snap of your fingers, the tree and lights come down, the weight gain becomes the focus and we grumble into the new year talking about how fast the last one went.

OK, I'll admit I don't share the same feelings about Christmas spirit as others do. I don't like the crowds and don't enjoy the stress of making sure we have presents for everyone, cards to send, parties to attend and on and on.

I think what wears on me the most is how commercialized the season has become. I don't think stores should be open on Thanksgiving Day. I don't think Christmas decorations should be up before Thanksgiving. I don't think the lights should come down until New Years Day. I think all the world should think like me. :)

What I do think about is that a number of people consider Christ this time of year. Easter and Christmas, right? He's not the reason for the season anymore and I know we don't know His birthday. To me, that's no big deal because He is noticed. He is recognized. He is considered. I hope we can take the moment and help people see it all year, no, for the rest of their life.

Christmas does represent a gift to me. It's a gift I celebrate all year long and it's a better gift than anything I will open this year. It's the gift of Jesus. The example. The sacrifice. I thank God for such a precious gift.

2 comments:

Rick Ross said...

My heart is so where you are in this blog. In fact, this will be the focus of my sermon this Sunday. Thanks.

Bev Ross said...

Jeff, I love the concept of celebrating all year! I'm all over parties for Jesus!