Monday, June 04, 2007

Boats for Sale?

I have wondered what it would be like to live on the coast. I feel like I'm getting a better idea of late while I watch the water flooding through my yard and the question of whether I need a boat to paddle out of the driveway drifts through my head.
______________________________________________________

I taught the high school class Sunday morning discussing the topic of hypocrisy. I couldn't help but think of things in my own life that I say and then do something differently. It's agonizing to think about.

As part of the my preparation, I went to dictionary.com for the definition of hypocrisy. Interesting, the Unabridged Dictionary stated the definition as a pretense of having virtous character, moral or religious beliefs that one does not truly possess. Wow! I didn't know only people who put on a show of upstanding character could be hypocrites. I scrolled down the page to find the American Heritage definition stated as the practice of professing beliefs, feelings or virtues that one does not possess.

I don't know that the definitions mattered because we were discussing hypocrisy from the viewpoint of calling ourselves Christian but leading a life that is different from the example of Christ. It left me with a great deal of needed self-examination that still carries forward today.
____________________________________________________

I find a lot of negative things to point out in my blog. Those are easy to rant and rave about. So, to find something good today, I look no further than the high school class I taught yesterday. 18 really, really neat kids. 18 nice kids. 18 kids who appear to be sincere in their faith. 18 kids who are grappling with choices and decisions they are and will make. Spending time with them, I am encouraged that they are 18 kids who will make good decisions and will be good leaders in their own ways. 18 kids who make me smile.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

We are extremely blessed here with some great kids!