Wednesday, June 20, 2007

A Swing And A Miss

I took my son and a friend to the Ranger game last night for their birthdays where they got their names up on the Coca-Cola board in center field. I'm ever amazed at children. I paid for pretty nice seats behind the Cubs dugout but the boys were happier when we went to sit on the top row of the stadium. I must say I did enjoy the breeze.

Sammy Sosa is swinging away for home run number 600. It seemed apparent last night that he was wanting to hit it against his old team. He was swinging away and struck out his first 3 times at bat. On his final at-bat of the night, he hit a fly ball to centerfield. There was a moment of collective gasp as people hoped it was going out but we saw no history unfolding as the outfielder caught it.

My son and friend went down before the game to try and get autographs. There was a young lady standing next to them wanting autographs also. The boys came back up after awhile because the young lady and a friend nearby used a lot of profanity and the boys got tired of that. I am proud of both of them for their desire to be somewhere out of earshot of that type of talk. My son also informed me, as we left the stadium, that the girl was offering to take off her shirt to get it signed and that "he sure didn't want to see that." He cracks me up.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

You went a night too early for Sosa's shot. Kids do help to keep things in perspective, don't they?