Friday, June 08, 2007

I Want My Baby Back

Our youngest returns from church camp today and both mom and dad are looking forward to seeing him. We have seen a couple of pictures of him at camp and based on the fact that he was standing in a murky creek with a smile on his face indicates to me he was right where he wanted to be. I am looking forward to hearing his stories.

I have missed him but his mom is hurting for him. I wonder if most families are like ours. When our children are gone for a few days, I miss them and am happy when they return but I get the feeling my wife almost hurts physically awaiting their return. I know we both love our children deeply. I am already telling my oldest the virtues of attending the local community college so she will not go off far. Yet when they are gone, it seems my wife and I look forward to their return in the same but different ways.

God was so good when He designed parents. We have different roles and we provide different things for our children. I marvel at my wife and all that she does for her family but particularly I take joy in seeing her care for our children.

I cannot understand why people abuse kids and I cannot fathom the idea of same-sex parenting. I grew up in a home that was nurturing as did my wife. We are trying to provide the same environment for our children, to lift them up, to encourage them, to help them, to prepare them. I am thankful that the people we have as friends are the same, that are families are incredibly important and that the health and well-being of the family is one of our highest priorities.

In the end, I do know this. Both my wife and I look forward to the return of their baby today.

No comments: