Friday, April 13, 2007

Watch What You Say

I'm sick of the Don Imus discussion. Maybe because of my age, my race, my beliefs I have no reason to weigh in or offer an opinion but it seems everybody else with a microphone is.

Imus said a bad thing that was offensive to certain people. He should be embarrased and apologize and so far he has admitted to his humiliation and has apologized. I think it is important for his employers to decide what punishment is right and whether it be a suspension or termination, it is their decision to make.

What irritates me the most about the whole thing is hearing the mouthpieces say it's OK for one group to use certain terminology but others are not allowed to because it then becomes offensive. If it is offensive, it is offensive. That's it. If I call my kids "nit-wits" should I be surprised if someone else calls them "nit-wits" or should I expect it? If people of color (I don't know the PC term of the day) can use the "n-word" then why would anyone be surprised if everyone uses the same word?

In the infamous words of Rodney King, can't we just all get along? What if (this is a crazy idea), what if we all treated people with respect? What if we never used derogatory words of any type to describe someone? I don't know...just a thought.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

I truly sympathize with the plight of those who have been held back because of the color of their skin. In fact, it is probably something I would be willing to be persecuted to defend. However, I get tired of Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson. They only perpetuate the problem, in my opinion. They come across as racists to me.