Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Some Days

My morning started with an early recognition that a pen and papers I had left in a shirt pocket had been washed. Ink had stained many of the clothes and possibly ruined some from wearing them at normal times. The papers I had ended up as little, wrinkled rolled-up balls that were useless.

I didn't get much sleep last night but still felt pretty good when I woke up this morning and then, when finding out about the pen explosion, it was like everything went downhill in the blink of an eye. I didn't feel good. I was disappointed, upset, mad. The day was already ruined. I messed up my clothes, my wife's clothes, my kid's clothes.

It is far too easy for something so insignificant, so little, a nuisance, to rule my day, to distract me, to change my focus and my thoughts. Yet, it only happens because I allow it to happen. I allow the insignificant to become significant, to grab my attention and thoughts.

Where will I focus today? Will I focus on the life-changing power of God or will I focus on material things ruined in the wash? Will I focus on being led to be a servant or being led to self-pity?

I apologize for the mental lapse and for the new Texas shorts that have an ink stain on them and whatever else was in the wash. It happened and will not change so the rest of the day, I will work to stay focused on what I have received, the love and mercy of my Savior, and I will try to glorify my Lord in all I do. That's what I'm deciding will be my focus today.

1 comment:

Bev Ross said...

That's just what I was going to write - the ol' hairspray-on-ink trick! It works - I am sure particularly on Texas shorts! Yeah, Jeff, let us know how it turns out!