Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Anger

Anger is an emotion I wrestle with too often. Generally I do a good job of keeping it in check but too often for me, I don't and I am wrestling with it today. I'm wrestling with it because in the course of trying to help boys enjoy playing baseball, I have to deal with parents who's ego and single-mindedness has them dampening the spirit of the team. If you've coached or are close to someone who has coached, you probably know the drill. We're not playing their little angel enough, pitching him enough, using him the right way. Their little angel hit better, ran better and caught better before he was on our team. Now there are some parents holding the rest of the team hostage until they decide if they want to play with us any longer. Part of me wants to throw in the towel but I have a little angel too and he wants to play baseball. He will overlook the problems if he can put on the uniform and get in the field. His passion and desire to play the game are the only things that keep me from walking away. So, we have to have a big meeting tomorrow and talk through it all and I'm worried my anger will come through. It's the devil's hook into me, one of the places he can really operate on me and pull me away from what I need to be.

Tomorrow night I have two battles. One is with a bunch of silly parents, the other with Satan. I hope I overcome both obstacles tomorrow but in the end, I've got to put my focus on the bigger one, the battle to control my anger and hope the other one will take care of itself.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

Yes, I remember those times well. I will be praying for you.