Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Recovery

It seem the ink disaster has been somewhat averted. Thanks for the ink removal tips. It sounds like I'm not the only one who forgets to check their pockets now and again.
_____________________________________________________________

I was reminded yesterday that there are people around us suffering emotionally and spiritually that we often are not aware of. They are going through pain, fear, worry, maybe even regret. When I was told about a situation yesterday, all I could think to do was pray that God would intervene, that He would be able to reach in and help even if those involved weren't turned to Him at that moment. The people directly involved and many who may be hurt indirectly will all need to recover from what has happened and I just don't know how a true recovery can work without God.

I've been there and would guess you may have too. I've said things or done things that have hurt people deeply and recovery could not happen without God. The only joy I have is knowing that God will forgive me, that He will cover me with mercy, with the blood of the Lamb and my relationship with Him can be made new. I hope when someone hurts me that I will extend the forgiveness that I have received from my Creator, my Lord and my Savior. I hope we can all fill that power when we hurt or have been hurt. I hope we will all know the joy of forgiveness and forgiving.

I've never really thought about forgiveness from me requires a sacrifice on my part. It's a simple sacrifice really, just giving up my pride, my idea of justification, my self-pity. Those things are such an insignificant price to pay when I realize my God gave up His son for my forgiveness. When I frame it in that context, that I don't have to give up my son, just my own thoughts and ideas, it becomes very easy for me to forgive.

I may have wandered off a bit from where I started but as I think about it, our recovery from anything is sped up or slowed down by forgiveness. The ability to forgive ourselves, the forgiveness we give or get and our grasp of the forgiveness we have received from God all play a role in recovering from anything.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

No telling how many of our human problems are traced directly to lack of forgiveness -- of others or of oneself.