Monday, February 14, 2011

I Am Second

I've shared this here before but something said yesterday brought it back to mind.  Many of you have seen the iamsecond.com web site and some of the awesome monologues there.  I think it's a great idea even if they won't let me into their club...or at least they wouldn't the last time I tried to become a member but that's another story.  Where I was going is the idea of being second to God.  I grew up being taught that I was 3rd or maybe even lower down the scale.  The God came first, others came second and then I might fit in to 3rd.  The acronym JOY was used (Jesus/Others/Yourself) to teach us how to live humbly.  I understand the concept and realize how easy it is to start splitting hairs over semantics but, personally, I think it's wrong teaching. 


The greatest command is to love God with all my heart, soul and mind.  The second is to love my neighbor AS MYSELF.  I capitalized those last two words because how am I supposed to love my neighbor as myself if God is first, they are second and I am third?  Here's where I'm going with this.  The only relationship in the world I need to get right is the one between God and me.  If he's first and I'm right next to Him, then the other relationships will figure themselves out because God will be flowing through me.  I don't need to worry about serving others if I'm not right with God and the more things I put between God and me, the more trouble I'm going to have staying focused on what His will is.  I think it's best that I make sure I'm staying on the same page as God and then I can be a servant to others but not before I am whole with God. 


I spent a lot of years trying to put others first, often failing at it but trying, and I never really got close to God.  Now, as I desire to get closer and closer to Him, to make Him first and me a close second, I am learning how I can serve others much better through His power. 


I am second and I plan to stay there.  Again, maybe I'm splitting hairs but this is how I need to approach my walk with God so that I grow closer to Him. 


Grace and peace to you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well said. We can't artificially will ourselves to put others before ourselves if we haven't soaked in how much God loves us.