Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Grammy Whammy

Did you watch the Grammy's on Sunday night?  I had the TV on for the last 20 minutes or so waiting on the news and was flabbergasted, yes flabbergasted, by some of the dancing I saw. 
If you are looking for a good blog to read, check out http://texastoothcarpenter.blogspot.com and http://rross.blogspot.com.  These are two very good friends of mine and they say some things that would benefit a lot of people to think about. 
I've been asked to be a guest writer for another friend's blog.
For the past 8 years or so I've been a columnist for two different western industry publications writing about business, management, leadership and operations.  The crazy part is that I got paid to do it!  Ha.  I had the lofty title of Business Editor at the last gig but gave it up this year because I can only write so much it seems and because it's time to scale back.  Even as I say I need to scale back, I'm contemplating taking on another big, time-consuming adventure.  Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment.
This is one of those days were I'm sort of dry as far as writing so I am filling space with yak-yak.  Yep, yak-yak.  Use that in Words With Friends and see what kind of response you get.
I have changed my musical choices to the point that at least 85% of what I listen to is Christian-themed music.  Don't think I'm patting myself on the back because I still slip in a little Pink Floyd, Molly Hatchett, Guns N Roses and such but I can tell a difference in myself when I'm listening to Third Day, Skillet, Lecrae, Casting Crowns, Jeremy Camp and a bunch of other great artists. 
Baseball season is back.  My son is playing again but I'm not involved at all this time...and it hasn't been an easy change.  It looks like the schedule is going to work for me to head out to Surprise in March for a little Spring Training with the Rangers.  I'm pumped.  I'm traveling with a good friend from our younger days and staying with his brother/another good friend.  I'm ready to go today.  Other than the packing.  Shorts and t-shirts...
I had a meeting Tuesday morning with some staff that has been through our company leadership training program.  As we talked about different issues, it struck me again how people interact with each other is so important in our lives in so many ways.  Relationships of one sort or another are a part of the fabric of our lives.  It brought me back to Monday's post - the one relationship I want to succeed at is the one between me and my Lord.  As long as that relationship is successful, I'm fully confident all others will work out for the best.

Grace and peace to you.

3 comments:

bartsirmandvm said...

I'm with you on the music thing. I hardly listen to anything else now and I've noticed my thoughts are different when I'm listening to Christian music. Keep climbing that hill brother. I'm right beside you. Go Rangers!!

Unknown said...

I've noticed pretty much the same thing since I've been listening to mostly Christian music as well for the past several years. I'm much more at peace in my thoughts.

But I've been known to throw in a little Guns N Roses, ZZ Top, and Rush, among others on occasion. Shelly wasn't too happy that I showed the boys on Youtube "Back in Black" by ACDC. I'll probably someday blog about how that came about.

Speaking of blogging, thanks for the plug.

Going to spring training should be fun.

Rick Ross said...

Interesting observation: Until I started listening to Christian music, I had become numb to the lyrics in many songs. Part of this may be due to the fact that, being an ex-drummer, I was more drawn to the beat of a song than the words. But secular music's lyrics, in general, are certainly unhealthy. And a steady dose of it has to affect us. Garbage in, garbage out.

Sorry, I'm slipping into preaching mode.