Friday, December 31, 2010

The Valley of The Unknown

Happy birthday to me!  Nope, it's not today but I've got a great bunch of friends who have supported by effort to raise $500 for Charity:Water during this birthday month.  Not only did they help me reach my goal - they doubled it!  $1,004 is going to Charity:Water to dig water wells and provide clean drinking water for people who are literally dying for it.  I'm pumped and can't thank those who participated enough.


In a few hours we will send out 2010 and step into 2011.  For some of us, 2010 won't be missed but, unfortunately, we cannot run away from the hurts and pains this year brought our way.  Not only that, we are going into the unknown.  Who knows what 2011 will be?  Are we usually hopeful for a better year?  Yes, of course.  Then again, I was hopeful for 2010 to be a great year...and it wasn't.


Here are my 2011 resolutions:
1.  Write better.  I go back and re-read some of my blogs and crack up where I can tell I combined two thoughts into one sentence without taking grammar into consideration.  We'll see how it goes.
2.  To make no more resolutions.  I'm not sure I can resolve to not resolve but I'm done making plans, goals and resolutions in a life I have little, if any, control of.  I just want God to open my eyes to what He places in front of me and seize the opportunities He gives me.  I want to live in His plans which will be far superior to mine.

Please don't think I'm advocating that for everyone...it's for me.  I'm not going to workout or eat better or read more and be kinder just because I said it's something I want to do on January 1st.  Heck, I've been wanting to do all that for years and where is "wanting to" getting me?  I either will or I won't but I don't want to get bogged down in all that; only in what God has in store for me.

I want to share John Wesley's Covenant Prayer with you again.  I posted it on September 21 and I'm trying again to speak it with conviction each morning.  I leave it with you as a thought for how to live out 2011.  Wesley's Covenant Prayer

Happy New Year and may it be filled with grace and peace for you.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I love your idea of no more resolutions. Most of the hard situations I have found myself in are directly related to my wanting to control something in my life. Control is closely related to pride and I want to rid myself of that. I want to live authentically and with purpose. Trusting God to put me in the right places at the right time with the right people is my only plan. Thanks for the reminder.