Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Fork

There are hundreds of variations to this story but they always ring true...


There was a young woman who had been diagnosed with a terminal illness and had been given three months to live.  As she was getting her things in order, she contacted her Pastor to discuss aspects of her final wishes.
She told him which songs she wanted sung at her funeral and what scriptures she wanted read and the clothes she wanted to be buried in.  Everything was in order and as the Pastor was preparing to leave, the young woman said "There's one more thing, one important thing.  I want to be buried with a fork in my right hand." 
The Pastor looked at the young lady not knowing what to say.  Finally, he said "To be honest, I'm a little puzzled by the request."  The young woman explained, "I have always remembered being at the table for big meals, as the main course was cleared away, someone would lean over and remind me to 'keep your fork'.  It was my favorite part because I always knew something better was coming whether it was a chocolate cake or deep-dish apple pie, something better was coming.  So, when people see me in the casket I want them to wonder 'what's the fork for?' and then I want you to tell them, 'Keep your fork, the best is yet to come'."
The Pastor's eyes were full of tears as he hugged the young lady and said goodbye, knowing it might be the last time he saw her alive.  He also knew she might well have a better grasp of heaven than he did at that moment.
At the funeral, the Pastor smiled as he saw many people look quizzically at the fork or ask someone next to them about it.  During the service, he was able to share the story the young lady told him and saw the knowing look on each face that the young lady had reminded everyone there that the best was yet to come.


Keep your fork!


Grace and peace to you.

No comments: