Tuesday, September 21, 2010

That Week That Is

This is a week that could take a lot out of me emotionally so I set myself up to be filled up with the Spirit and things of God.  Oddly enough, I'm being filled with talk about suffering and how I can find light in my suffering.


A dear friend told me once, "I don't trust anyone who hasn't suffered."  I may be paraphrasing a bit but that's the idea I got from what was said and a thought I have hung onto because I find myself in the same place.  People who want to offer advice and suggestions who haven't yet walked a difficult road seem to have empty words for me but people who have suffered greatly, many much more than me, often say little verbally yet speak volumes spiritually and emotionally.


Today I was introduced to John Wesley's Covenant Prayer.  My hope is to say this prayer every morning for the next 3 weeks and see what God wants to share with me.  It's not an easy prayer but a challenging prayer.  I hope it speaks to you like it has spoken to me.


I am no longer my own, but yours.
Put me to what you will, rank me with whom you will;
put me to doing, put me to suffering.
Let me be employed for you or laid aside by you, 
enabled for you or brought low by you.
Let me be full, let me be empty.
Let me have all things, let me have nothing.
I freely and heartily yield all things 
to your pleasure and disposal.
And now, O glorious and blessed God, 
Father, Son and Holy Spirit, 
you are mine and I am yours.  So be it.
And the covenant which I have made on earth, 
let it be ratified in heaven.
Amen.


Grace and peace to you.

No comments: