Sunday, May 03, 2009

Why I'm A Rangers Fan

Did you see Chris Davis dive into the stands to catch a foul ball last night? EFFORT with big, bold capital letters.

OK, the idea for this blog started with why I'm not a Mavericks fan but watching Davis jump into the stands and almost make an incredible catch only solidified my feelings. I watched the Mavs today in the 3rd and 4th quarter and saw a team with no heart. Kidd throws balls everywhere and the few that do go to teammates go right by them with little if any effort. Dirk gets a technical when things are really starting to fall apart and gets a chance to take the ball hard to the hoop - maybe drawing a foul, maybe dunking it to make a statement. What does he do? He trys to finesse his way under the arm of the defender and misses the layup. Then he wanders back down the court with the most blank expression you can fathom. The coach is sitting on the bench looking like Rick Perry - he knows he got the job but just can't figure out how he did it or what he's supposed to do next. Maybe he'll convince the Mavericks to secede from the NBA.

The Rangers aren't good every year. Shoot, you can count the number of years they've been good on one hand but they have several players who don't quit, who lead with actions and words. I'll take Michael Young and his selflessness and Ian Kinsler and his determination and Hank Blalock and his perseverance and Chris Davis and his doing whatever it takes and Josh Hamilton and his struggle and Andrew Jones and his smile while climbing out of a deep hole and Nelson Cruz who everyone says can't make it but keeps fighting and Ron Washington and his character when everyone says he needs to go...I'll take those guys over the Mavs every day of the week. (Yes, I realize there are no pitchers on my list but hopefully they will show up one day.)

After today, I don't think I can stomach another Mavs game for awhile. So here's to hoping that the Rangers make it over .500 for the year and the guys keep fighting no matter where they are in the standings and maybe, just maybe, we get some pitching that is hard to expect for Rangers fans.

2 comments:

Rick Ross said...

I'm not disagreeing with you, but the Mavs have already surpassed what the "experts" had predicted for them this year. I think they have advanced to a level they cannot compete at. Denver is athletic and intense. And they obviously WANT it.

Melissa Taylor said...

I just love it when a Texas team loses to a Colorado team :) Just kidding! I love the Rangers too, and I always seem to like their players better than any other team. We have a "good" group of guys, and I will take that any day over a bunch of jerks that can win a championship.

Your blog didn't catch the swine flu, did it?