Friday, May 15, 2009

Back-to-Back

I should leave the Rangers alone for awhile but yesterday's walk-off 2 run homer was sweet. Chris Davis, Longview native, hit a big blast when they needed it. Don't let the fact that he is on pace to set the strikeout record interfere with what he did yesterday. Lights out. Now, the 2nd place Angels come to town.
_________________________________________________________________

I feel sorry for the Chrysler dealerships that got "the letter" yesterday. Chrysler is rolling up dealerships, putting some out of business so that others may thrive. I guess dealers know that Chrysler has that power but I always hate to hear when the bad news is delivered through a letter filled with corporate-ese.

GM is doing it today.
_________________________________________________________________

One of the incredible experiences of being on a journey with God is exploring where he wants you to go. I have experienced some radical changes in my thought processes of what it means to be a Christ-follower. I see baptism in a whole new light - much deeper, richer and more meaningful experience than I ever imagined it to be. I see church attendance in a whole new light - not as a regulation but as a place of peace in the presence of God. These are just a couple of examples of things I have grown up with thinking I understood but figuring out I never really went very far with them. I have heard the battles over grace versus works and used to try to have some intellectual answer to the question. How silly I was. I am coming to see that these and many other subjects similar are not matters of interpretation or research as much as they are matters of the heart and my hearts desire for God.

I may never enter in to another conversation about baptism being essential because if a true heart for God doesn't lead someone into the waters, my reasoning will not be adequate for what they can experience. I may never enter in to another conversation about what "forsaking the assembly" means because a true heart for God will draw you into worship. Going to church because you are supposed to go to church can actually be damaging in the search for God. And grace versus works? Wow. How can 2 things that create incredible synergy ever be opposed to each other. When someone truly experiences grace, the desire to work will burn within them. I venture to say the person who does not have a desire to serve God in any way possible may not yet have experienced the incredible power of His grace.

I say all of this from my own experience, not some idea that I have it all figured out because I am still on a journey to truly know my Lord. It is incredible. It is filled with new insights every day. It is filled with tears and joy and shivers that run down my spine and peace...a perfect peace that He is in control, that He will lead me where He wants me to be, that He will protect me, encourage me and love me no matter what. It's a journey I am treasuring every minute of - good and bad - because it is pulling my heart closer to my Creator, my Savior, my Lord.

3 comments:

Rick Ross said...

Great post!

So here's my question: Is the Rangers' pitching a matter of grace or works?

Jeff said...

It has to be grace. I know the pitchers are working harder than ever but based on the past several years...it has to be grace. :)

Unknown said...

This is a great post, Jeff.

I find myself having been in the same places you describe that you have been, and am in similar places on the journey that are right now.

If God's grace through Jesus isn't the biggest motivator for living action, then I don't know what is. I just keep diving in deeper and deeper in him and keep finding new insights into how deep and wide is God's love and majesty...even in my tough times.

_____________________________

As I sit here writing this and watching the Rangers, I'll take graceful pitching all season long.:)