Monday, February 12, 2007

What in the world?

Last week, we in Wise County found out a 14 year old in Decatur had made a public death threat towards a teacher at the high school. I cannot imagine what is going through the minds of those involved - the child, his parents, the teacher and her family, other students. It's one of those events that makes me ask "Why?" and come up completely blank on answers.

It's scary to think someone so young could be thinking of that type of action, even scarier that he would make it public. Thank goodness he did though as his MySpace page was what alerted his mom and then she called the police. What causes a child to think that way? Is it his parents? Is it society? We don't know the answers and may never know or understand.

I know the teacher and have a high regard for her. I let her know she and her family were in my prayers and she responded that prayer is what is getting them through this ordeal. There is power in prayer, in people raising their voices to God, in asking Him for help for whatever the situation is. So often, I have seen the result of faithful prayer and I am ever-thankful we have that avenue to God.

There are so many things we can and should be praying about. If you haven't talked to God today, I encourage you to stop now and lift up praise and petition to him for whatever is on your heart. He is faithful and He will hear you.

No comments: