Thursday, February 08, 2007

Wade Phillips?

ESPN is reporting that Wade Phillips will be the new head coach for the Dallas Cowboys. Say what? Norv Turner was getting skewered because of his record as head coach in other locales but I have not heard that much about Phillips record (which I don't remember being stellar). Maybe it's because the reporters are shell-shocked that he would be the choice. I know I am. I realize defense is important but the young QB is going to be a big part of where the team goes and while I like Jason Garrett (what little I know about him anyway), I'm not sure he is ready to develop a young QB that is so important to the success of the Cowboys.

I really wonder about Jerry sometimes. He has lots of money and apparently made some good decisions along the way but it's starting to look like Jimmy was his flash-in-the-pan good decision for this team.

Who do you think should be coaching the Cowboys? Do you think Landry or Johnson was the best coach the team has had? Do you think Barry Switzer was cognizant that he was coaching in the pro ranks or was just happy to get free hot dogs on the sideline?

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

I think both Landry and Johnson were the right guys at their time. Landry, because of the consistency of great coaching for a long, long time would have to get the nod as the Cowboys' best.

I agree: Jerry's whole legacy as a winner is tied to his hiring of Johnson. He has done nothing since then. Never have the Cowboys had this long a stretch of mediocrity -- with no relief in sight.

Wade Phillips probably gets the nod because he will be Jerry's "yes-man." From what I heard, Turner was questioning Garrett as the OC. That may have gotten him booted.