Wednesday, February 07, 2007

If We Are the Body

There's a song I've heard recently by a contemporary Christian group titled "If We Are the Body." The premise of the song is that we sit in our churches and too often reflect the world instead of Christ. The chorus goes something like this, "if we are the body, why aren't his arms reaching, why aren't his feet going..." I don't like being called on the carpet. I don't like being indicted of something I've done wrong. It makes me defensive. Eventually though, I'll realize what I have done, whether intentionally or accidentally, has not been the right thing to do. This song has indicted me. I am comfortable sitting in my pew. I am comfortable going to class. I am comfortable. Should a Christian ever be comfortable? I would venture to say we should be content, content in our salvation, content in the fact that God has provided us all we really need but comfortable is something we should avoid.

Comfortable keeps us in our ruts. Comfortable keeps us inactive. Comfortable keeps us from being the hands and the feet, it keeps us from going.

Lord, don't let me be comfortable. If I am part of the body, if I am your hands and feet, put me to work, let me see what can be, let me glorify you. I know I will stumble Lord. When I do, help me up Lord and set me back on your path. Let me remember others will also stumble and let your hands and feet (me) rush to help them up, to wrap your arms around them and help them find their way back to you. Lord, let me share your love, your mercy, your peace with others and them with me. Make me content that all I need is you and my comfort be that you have given me a home with you, a home greater than anything I can know now.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

That song is pretty convicting all right. The Body of Christ was never intended to be a "shut-in."