Monday, February 19, 2007

Jury Duty

I might have mentioned that I was recently "selected" to be on long-term jury duty. It lasts 6 months and if all goes well we will only meet one day each month.

I had planned to take part to all of today off because the kids are out of school. Instead, I'm working because I got a notice that I have to be at jury duty on Friday. Hmmmm, day off with family or day of listening to a range of stupid to horrible things people have done. My past interest in attending law school makes being a part of a jury somewhat interesting but all things considered, I'd prefer not to go. The other interesting aspect of it is the dynamic of the group. It's a fairly diverse group, some who are quiet and others who tell you exactly what they think, some who have been civil servants and others who own a business, some who have obvious religious convictions and some who are very cynical. From my interest in psychology point-of-view, this may be a more interesting aspect than the legal issues. I enjoy watching people and trying to figure them out. When I was in college, I would go to the local mall and sit on a bench just watching the people and coming up with what I thought was going through their heads. I still remember the day a kid came walking in with spiked hair, black clothes, gaudy rings on every finger - he was either part of a heavy metal band or a band of killers - and this older, petite, apparently upper-middle class lady stopped dead in her tracks staring at him. It was one of those moments that made bench watching worthwhile.

People are many different things and I know I will see that more and more in my service to local government.

There's a good chance I won't blog tomorrow as I plan to travel to some of our remote stores. Typing on the computer while driving just doesn't seem like a good idea.

Have a super day!

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

I assume you are serving on the Grand Jury. I did that years ago in Galveston County. I really enjoyed the experience. It did make me realize that the drug problem is much greater than I ever dreamed.