Wednesday, January 17, 2007

A White Blanket

We awoke this morning to a white blanket of snow on the ground and another day of school closure. The kids are happy today but don't realize they will be making it up on days that would have been much nicer to be out of school. I guess it's always fun to be out of school, no matter the weather, and hitting your brother or sister with a snowball or two makes it even better.
_____________________________________________

I stayed up to watch Texas and Oklahoma State battle through 3 overtimes last night. In the end, OSU came out on top but it was a great game to watch and even Rick Barnes, Texas' coach couldn't help but smile through the final two OT's.

Kevin Durant sure looks like the real deal. He had been projected as the #2 NBA pick in last year's draft but a new NBA rule prohibits most kids from going straight to the pros from high school so he has to spend a year at Texas (the kid projected to go #1 in last year's draft is a 7-footer named Greg Oden playing at Ohio State this year). Based on how he is playing this year, he will still be worthy of a top-3 pick next year.
_____________________________________________

I'm helping our youth minister on Wednesday nights now working with our junior high and high school group. I'm speaking next week to the group and the scripture that immediately popped into my head has been a long time favorite - Philippians 4:8. If we followed the directive given all the time, I wonder what the world would be like. I wonder if people couldn't help but get along. I wonder if nations would cooperate instead of fight. I wonder.

Still, in all my hope that the world and the people of the world could find peace, it isn't peace in this world that I care the most for. I want to see peace here and now so that my children will grow up in a safer place but more than that, I have the hope that I and that they will spend eternity with God. That is something truly admirable, truly noble, truly good to think about.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

May our thoughts be taken captive by Him!