Tuesday, January 23, 2007

State of the Union

The President is speaking tonight. I feel for him. I don't think he can say anything without getting picked apart for it at this point. I saw a poll today saying only 33% of those polled think he's doing a good job. Add Hillary to the mix and I'm sure the camera time will be split at best.

President Bush has a high hill to climb to make headway with the American public. I hear and read about long time Republican and/or Bush supporters that have questioned his decisions much more often and vocally than ever before. Tonight has to be a tough night for him.

I will be at basketball practice. There were a period of several years when I wouldn't have missed the President's speech. I stayed up to watch election coverage, read the papers to see who was who and what they were doing. Now, I find myself being one of those who are more apathetic to the process. I don't think the media is fair. I don't the candidates are so different nor trustworthy. I don't think we have elected officials who care about the good of the country as much as they do themselves.

I hope I'm misreading what is going on. I hope I am seeing it wrong and will snap out of this funk to find that the leaders and decision-makers of our country do care about us and do make decisions they truly believe will benefit the people of this country. I still have hope.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think 9-11 put Bush behind the 8 ball from the beginning. I actually find it quite commendable that the economy didn't totally tank after that awful day. I was more hopeful that he, with a Republican Senate and House, might have done more about a number of issues. But instead, the war in Iraq became his defining issue.

I, too, feel for him. He is becoming the target for both Democrats and Republicans. There is not much he could do or say to change that at this point. He does not deserve the hostility he is receiving.