Friday, January 12, 2007

Brrrrrrrr....

It sounds like we might need to get prepared for an icy blast in Wise County. I love the cold weather. I don't know that I would if I lived somewhere that the cold lasts very long but maybe I would. I think some of my joy in it is due to being hot natured. My wife is the complete opposite which gives the thermostat a workout through much of the year. I like it cold. I like to put on a coat, put on gloves and a hat and trudge through the cold. People around me have often heard my goofy statement that "you can always put more clothes on but you can only take so much off before going to jail" and that's my mentality on the weather. I'm confident you are glad to know that about me. :)
_______________________________________________

I used to be a current events fanatic. I loved watching the news, reading US News and World Report and local and national papers. Today, I'm not sure I could tell you what is going on around me except for a battle in Iraq. Baseball and basketball keep me busy a couple of nights a week, some areas I'm getting more involved in at church is taking more of my time, work is certainly eating up bigger chunks of time recently. They are all good things that I am enjoying and thankful for but occassionally I sit back and wonder where things changed so much. I guess I find it interesting to stop and look back at the twists and turns of the path I've traveled to be where I am now. Things that were once enjoyable, if not seemingly important are nothing more than a memory now. I wonder what will happen with the things I enjoy and feel important now? (There's a moral to that story somewhere in there, I just haven't thought it through yet.)
________________________________________________

Oprah opened a new school for girls in Africa. It was all over the news (that was one story I couldn't miss if I tried) and she is hailed as a great person for doing it. Bush, on the other hand, is a modern day villian in many folks eyes because he has tried to eliminate a harsh world for people in Iraq and give them a hope for a little bit better life. I have a suspicion (and could be completely wrong) that Oprah and her followers are opposed to what is going on in Iraq and all goo-goo over what she did in Africa. One question, could Oprah have ever accomplished what she did without past wars to eliminate oppressive control by government?
________________________________________________

Bundle up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I definitely hold to your theory about clothing -- though I have never put it quite the way you did. I don't get why cold-natured people come to church in short-sleeves and dresses and then complain because it is too cold.

It is miserable to preach in a suit and tie with sweat running down one's face. And I can't even take clothes off. (waaaaaaaaaaaaa)