Monday, January 22, 2007

1/2 Right

I wanted to see New Orleans and Indianapolis in the Super Bowl. Instead we may be overrun with "2 black coaches in the Super Bowl" headlines for the next couple of weeks. I realize it's a big occasion and maybe I don't have an appreciation for the significance of it but I hope it doesn't come down to color, color, color. I've been a fan of Tony Dungy for several years. He appears to be a real class act. Lovie Smith seems much the same though I know much less about him. I hope what comes out in the press is more about what good people they are, not what color they are.

Chicago and Indy would probably have been my second choice for teams. I like Manning and wanted to see him break through his playoff jinx. In my mind, the Bears tradition is as great as any team and I like the way Urlacher plays. It ought to be a good game - offense vs. defense.

Predictions?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had not read your Friday post until this morning (Monday). Great observations about kids' athletics. That's what it ought to be about.

As for the Super Bowl, I will be pulling for Dungy and Manning. Truthfully, I would never have picked up on the fact that both coaches are black. That being made an issue may say something about how far we still have to go in this country.