Monday, October 09, 2006

Lotto Texas

The question came up in our Bible study yesterday about how many people had bought a lotto ticket (more replied in the affirmative than I thought they would, me included) and what they would do with the money if they won. That was a hard question, especially in church, because I think everyone who buys one thinks of many things they would do but would it be the right thing to do? What is the right thing? It got me to thinking again about priorities, how we decide what our priority is or how it just creeps up on us. I am convinced the use of our money says a quite a bit about us. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those who thinks being wealthy and being a Christian or mutually exclusive but where I put my resources is an indication of where I place my Christianity on my priority heirarchy.

I appreciate the question yesterday and the reminder for what needs to be first for me.

So what would you do with all the money? Since it's my blog, I guess I have to go first with what I would want to do.

I would set up a missions endowment through our church. I have come to love missions work and want to help more people willing to make the sacrifices needed to travel around the globe sharing the Good News.
I would set up a building endowment through our church. I would like to see us create more recreation areas for our youth, more space for our Mother's Day Out and let the 5th Sunday contribution go to spreading the Gospel.
I would pay off debt.
Invest.
Past that, I'm not sure what I would do. Do some things to the house, help establish college funds for family members, go to baseball games at every stadium, put a pool in. I'm sure there would be no lack of ideas for how to spend all the money.

My prayer today is that I remember what and who is most important.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

I would spend it all on my wife (Beverly, I hope you are reading this).

Actually, I think I would 1st set up an endowment to help the truly poor in our community. I would also want to help with some mission work that I felt passionate about.

Then I would pay off all my bills, and invest enough to set up my retirement.

After that? Open a Red Lobster or Landry's in Decatur. Also, a good buffet.

If anything was left, I might join a country club (but not a blue-nose, snobby one.