Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Boo!

Happy Halloween to all of you witches and goblins out there. Watching the news last night, they were interviewing a lady who was upset that her child was part of a Halloween program and felt it offended her religious beliefs. I'm not here to debate whether she is right or wrong but it got me to thinking about Halloween and my memories of it over the years.

1. Dad dressed up in football pads and helmet with a mask on sitting on our front porch scaring people.
2. Halloween at the Lott's. The Lott's had a farm outside of town. Some of our dear parents dressed up as witches and boiled body parts or babies. I never got too close to figure it out. Dad was in his costume hiding in the creek bottom chasing us just when we thought it was over. Another parent appearing to be hanging from a tree limb. The preachers wife falling into an open grave. Someone coming down a zip line at an old cemetary and one of our kids getting so scared he ran off down the road with parents chasing after him. Cooking hot dogs and roasting marshmallows around the fire when it was over.
3. Dressing up in costumes when I was little and trick-or-treating with Suzanne Kirby. I don't remember the costumes but I'm sure they were cool.
4. Wondering how sick my kids would get trying to eat all the candy they collected and hearing "let me unwrap it first to make sure it's OK" ringing in my head.

Halloween was always scary fun. It still is in many ways. Tonight we will stay home most of the night and give out candy to the little ghouls, warlocks, pirates and angels that come by. Maybe we'll hide in the bushes and scare a few of them too. :)

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

I think my favorite treats were popcorn balls. Such good memories of "trick-or-treating." I'm saddened that we have lost the innocence of those days.