Thursday, October 26, 2006

I'll Take One of Those, Three of Those...

We had a great class last night at church discussing the desire for "things", for material goods and the danger that it leads to - pulling us away from our relationship with God. Keeping up with the Jones' (easy enough for me) seems so prevalent in our society. After spending time in a foreign country, I could see how we looked in their eyes. It's saddening in many ways and I hope I can stay focused on God and want less and less in the days to come.
______________________________________________

Along those lines, this was in a church bulletin I receive. I thought it was great.

Cell Phones vs The Bible
I wonder what would happen if we treated our Bible like we treat our cell phone?
What if we carried it around on our belts or in our purses?
What if we turned back if we forgot it?
What if we flipped through it several times a day?
What if we used it to receive messages from the text?
What if we treated it like we couldn't afford to live without it?
What if we gave it to kids as a gift?
What if we used it when we traveled?
What if we used it in case of an emergency?

I like the analogy. I am one of the few who thinks the world was a better place before cell phones and leave mine somewhere else as often as I can. Yet, the analogy it makes with the Bible is a good one in the sense that the Bible should be a focus point for living our lives.

No comments: