Thursday, October 05, 2006

Joy vs. Happiness

For whatever reason, it seems I've heard several discussions recently on the difference in joy and happiness. I won't compare and contrast them for you here but it has been on my mind since Tuesday night. I was having a discussion about my trip to Brazil and all that I saw and learned and felt. I was flooded with vivid memories and pictures in my mind of the people, of their love and their joy. Yes, they were happy too but I think joy was even more evident because they were constantly celebrating their relationships built around God.

As I get caught up in my day-to-day whirlwind, I forget about the joy I can and should have because of Christ. I'm thankful for that conversation that drew me back to the picture God had painted for me thousands of miles away - a picture where I could see and experience both joy and happiness and a reminder that joy thrills the soul, that joy celebrates my relationship with my Savior. Having that joy - that makes me happy.

I hope I bring happiness to people but even more I hope I can share with them my joy.

No comments: