Tuesday, October 24, 2006

I Say "Tony", You Say "Romo"

The Cowboy game had it's bright spots last night but not many.
1. We sat four rows up from where Chris Berman, Steve Young, Michael Irvin and Tom Jackson were doing the pre-game and halftime shows on ESPN. Stuart Scott and Chris Mortenson were also there for Sports Center. ESPN was a great idea.
2. The QB switch at halftime had the crowd buzzing. It didn't turn out so well but it's all Cowboy fans can expect I suppose.
3. Red parking isn't all bad. It's just all the turns you have to make to finally get on the highway you want to be on.
4. The announcer noted that "football is a team sport" and "in that spirit, the Cowboys take the field as a team." They did and all the hoopla was cool. Loud music, flames, fireworks. I was ready to go play until I saw Michael Strahan hit Drew Bledsoe. OUCH.
5. Once the team was on the field, all the cheers were for TO and Romo.
6. It's amazing how many people will sit in the stands and cuss at players and coaches mistakes. I can't imagine spending $80 or so a seat to let your anger out at people you don't know. (I should have had a local counselor's cards with me to hand out.)
7. Michael Irvin still gets the love. People were continually yelling his name hoping he would look up and wave at them. (Sidenote: People can be incredibly forgiving of athletes but harsh to people close to them. As Christians, we should be the very example of that. Sadly, it isn't always the case.)
8. There were a lot of people drinking beer but surprisingly not as many as I would have expected.
9. The guy in front of me brought radio headphones and a little TV. Why come to the game?
10. We stood for almost the whole game. It was loud. I remember when people on TV talked about Texas Stadium as being quiet. It's loud now.
11. Hank Williams Jr. was there to start things off in a really cool looking Ford truck.
12. Rayfield Wright and Troy Aikman were there to receive their Hall of Fame rings. Things have gone downhill since their playing days.
13. It's just a little humorous to hear thunderous cheers for the backup QB coming in and then, on his first play, he throws an interception. He did good but made a number of mistakes along the way.
14. Two kids in front of us painted their upper bodies blue. One had a T, the other an O on their chest. I think they had dreams of TV that didn't pan out for them. They were peeling it off by mid 4th quarter.
15. I wondered how many people stayed in the parking lot during the game at their own little party area.

It's a sports fan heaven right now. The World Series, football and the start of basketball and hockey. I'm pulling for the Cardinals but won't mind seeing the Tigers win (with stuff on their hands or not). I'm pulling for my fantasy football players instead of teams. The Chargers defensive problems are really bumming me out. I haven't figured out hockey so I don't watch it but enjoy the games live. Pro basketball doesn't do much for me so I don't watch until the playoffs come along. Lest I forget, the Chase for the Cup is winding down and the Byron Nelson and Colonial are only half a year away.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

I think I saw you at the game. Weren't you the one with the orange hair and the T. O. paint on (you forgot about mentioning me). Actually, Jeff -- I love you. But that is an ugly thought.