Thursday, April 13, 2006

Ephesians 3:19

I can't seem to write what I want to say today. This is the one of the many attempts I've made today to try and express what is jumbled in my head and I can't get it out in an understandable format. Yes, I realize some of you think this is normal for me. Anyway, I've decided I'm going the simple, short route until I can get a better handle on what I want to say.

Last night, our class discussed dreams for the work of our church, dreams for what our service to God can be and the fruit of those dreams - the growth we might see. We discussed how we typically measure growth (numbers, money, size) and how God might measure growth. Ephesians 3:19 hasn't left my head since. It says, "and to know this love that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God." Oh my. If I can know that love and be filled with the fullness of God, I will have grown in the way I want to and the way God wants me to. If I can know that love and be filled with the fullness of God, I can live out the dreams God would have us dream. If I can know that love and be filled with the fullness of God, I will be bold in reaching out, I will be bold in proclaiming the good news, I will be bold in glorifying my Savior. If I can know that love and be filled with the fullness of God, I will be a warrior fiercely battling evil, I will be a peacemaker helping those in conflict, I will gently touch those who have been scarred, I will securely grab hold of those who are falling. If I can know the love that surpasses knowledge and be filled with the fullness of God, I will be the person I have dreamed of being.
I don't know that I can fully know the love described in Ephesians but I do know I must strive to know more of it every day, every minute, every second. I must grow in my knowledge of that love so that I can exhibit and share that love. I don't know how to measure it but I have a good idea of what it will look like and when I see it, I will know I am growing in the manner that God wants to see growth.
God, help me know your love better, give me strength to find it and courage to share it.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

I was excited about the way class went last night. That verse did seem to resonate, didn't it? My guess is that many of us went home with it on our minds. Thanks for the summary!