Monday, April 10, 2006

Automatic Transmissions

I remember the first time I had to drive a vehicle with a standard transmission. I worked for Coca-Cola and had to take a delivery van to a store to drop off product and face the shelves (make sure all the product looked pretty on the shelf basically). There were several rough, jerky starts as I learned to use the clutch and get the van rolling. It wasn't a pretty sight at first and I'm sure the Coca-Cola logo was making an indelible impression on the people around me as they watched teh van lurch and sputter but I finally got the hang of it and now I enjoy driving a standard from time to time. However, automatic transmissions make things so easy. It shifts for you and the ride is smooth. There's nothing to think about, nothing to do other than just press the accelerator.

I think we are equipped with standard transmissions. Life certainly isn't always a smooth ride. Often, we deal with problems or do things that make life seem rough and jerky, just like my initial attempts to get the van rolling. Hopefully, we can learn how to get past the rough spots and keep things moving smoothly. Yet if we aren't careful, we can still end up stalling out because we lose focus on what we need to do. That's the way I feel this morning. The day has started off a little rough but I'm reminding myself to focus on God and allow Him to help me and I know things will get smoother. Too often when faced with some difficulty of any degree, I start thinking about me and what I'm going to do instead of turning to God and asking Him what I should do. Today, I will spend some time praying and trusting that the ride will smooth out as I go along.

No comments: